Sunday, December 27, 2009

John Doe American's Lament


Too many lawyers in Washington, too many lawyers in D.C.!
Interpreting the constitution, what it means to be free.
Too many fat cats, looking good on T.V.
Too many elected officials, talking gibberish to me.

I am John Doe American, who struggles every day,
Just to pay my bills, hold starvation at bay.
I've served my country, served to keep her free.
And I doubt any politician, loves her more than me.

I pay my taxes, on time every year.
Do without because of it, and then I hear?
Some pompous politicians, stand up on Capitol Hill.
Saying, “We represent the people, and this is our will."

Give Social Security benefits to aliens, who haven't paid at all.
So what if they're illegal? That's your Congress call."
Well Mr. politician, John Doe America has something to say,
"What the hell were you smoking, standing up there that day?"

You tell us, the people, who you purport to represent,
We have to tighten our belts, pinch every penny spent.
You tell those who have retired, who made America what it is,
We can't give you a raise, there's not enough money- gee-whiz!

And then stand up there before us, with a straight face proclaim,
"I am congressman so-and-so!" Well politician, I know your name!
Your name is expediency, you twist in the wind,
You really stand for nothing, you go with the trend.

I am an independent, neither Republican nor Democrat,
I, like most John Doe American's, vote were conscious is at.
First God and then country, then my own personal needs.
Yes, I feel compassion for many, for many my heart bleeds.

But on this thing you do, well, you have no defense.
It borders on not only lunacy, but grievous offense.
Giving to aliens billions, while John Doe citizen's do without?
I must tell you Mr. politician, your integrity’s in doubt!


Russ Pergram

No comments:

Post a Comment