Monday, December 7, 2009

Forty Thousand Feet


We're cruising at 40,000 feet.
'Tis my journeys onset.
As I look out my window,
I see we're chasing sunset.

I think, "There, beyond the horizon,"
Is the place I want to be;
Where lies my daughter's heart,
And the great Pacific sea."

I think, "How apropos!
How it speaks to my heart.
A metaphor for my life,
How were not so far apart."

I too am chasing sunset,
The setting of my sun.
Seeking my haven of rest,
Were battles all are won.

"Ah, just a little longer,"
I muse from my seat.
"I'll chase no more sunsets,
From 40,000 feet!"
 
 
Russ Pergram
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I wrote this on my way from Chicago to Seattle. As I looked under the planes wing on the left side I could see the sunset ahead of us. We were indeed chasing sunset. I grabbed my pen and paper and wrote this poem while looking out the window.

    ReplyDelete