Wednesday, January 18, 2012

How Long


How long does one toss pearls
...'ere one walks away?
How long is enough!
...'ere comes the last day?

How long does one fight?
...against innocent ignorance.
How long does one endure?
...'ere it's time to dispense.

With long-suffering compassion
...patient endurance for the blind.
Oh tell me how long my friend
...'til wisdom they find.

How long does one abide
...'ere children at last awake.
'til they can discern
...truth from what is fake.

How long 'til sadness and sorrow
...are no longer daggers in my chest.
Perceived faults of their father
...at last are laid to rest.

How long must I endure
...'til at last they might see?
Through misconceptions
... of whom think me to be.

I fear not long enough
...in time life supplies.
Perhaps, when I'm laid to rest
...and tears have cleansed their eyes.

 

 Russ Pergram

No comments:

Post a Comment