Monday, January 30, 2012

Garrett's Fork of Big Creek


It seems like only yesterday,
... a young man without a heavy load.
Walked the Garrett's Fork of Big Creek
... upon a then graveled road.

Footprints in the road behind me
... already began to spin the tale.
Of a man who would ponder
... the direction of his trail.

I remember thinking about the future
... how far away 2000 seemed to be.
An eternity away!
... in the summer of 63.

I remember thinking, "Man ,  I'll be old
... in my 50s for sure!"
Then comforted myself with the thought,
... "By then, they'll find a cure!"

But now here I am in my 60s,
... 50s long behind.
January 30, 2012
... and once again I find.

I'm looking back at footprints
... meandering where ever I did roam.
That follow me nearly around the world
... but never away from home.

Home, where my heart is
... where it was in 63.
Garrett's Fork of Big Creek
... where home will always be.
 
 Russ Pergram

No comments:

Post a Comment